The Phoenix

Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving: Some Scientific Facts

Wow...hard to believe this is my fourth Thanksgiving post.

It's that time of year again for us Americans to cook for 18 hours, then stuff ourselves in under 15 minutes, and then unbutton the front of our pants in order to pass out in front of a football game.
In the meantime, enjoy some of the lesser-known scientific Thanksgiving tidbits that I've gathered:

That big dude sucking down the turkey and stuffing isn't the only one that could possibly suffer a coronary. Turkeys can have heartattacks too! Decades ago, when the Air Force was conducting tests involving jets breaking the sound barrier, turkeys below would have heart attacks and keel over.

The Guinness Book of Records states that the greatest dressed weight recorded for a turkey is 86 lbs - which was weighed-in at the annual "heaviest turkey" competition held in London, England on December 12, 1989.

More than 40 million green bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving. I wonder how much Beano or Gas-X is served afterwards.

A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour. A wild turkey can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds. That's one fast butterball!

Studies done by the University of Georgia show that the average person eats between 2,000 and 3,000 calories at a holiday meal. That is more calories than the average person needs on a daily basis. I'm betting that the number of gym memberships skyrocket too.

As I had posted back in 2005, tryptophan (an amino acid found in turkey) is often blamed for that Thanksgiving Coma many of us experience. Truth is, we get sleepy from consuming all of those starchy carbs. That, and many of us partake in the consumption of alcohol too.

Finally...

46 million turkeys will be eaten on Thanksgiving. And I personally plan on contributing to that statistic.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving...and I'm so very thankful to all you continue to visit my little blog.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Friendly said...

Am I supposed to feel bad about eating half a bird now?

No way.

Have a swell Thanksgiving Phoenix! Be thankful that the Rams season is almost over.

11/24/2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger angel, jr. said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

11/24/2008 5:23 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Good thing I indulged in my turkey last month. This would've made me feel...not guilty at all!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

11/25/2008 11:00 PM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

86 pounds?!?!?

Seriously?!?!?!?

hahahaha!!!!

11/30/2008 11:04 AM  
Blogger Phats said...

Hope you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving!

12/01/2008 12:50 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You always enlighten me in the best ways. And for that, I am thankful!

I remember your post about the chicken without a head and where "running around like a chicken without it's head" came from. This post reminded me of that and I don't know why.

I'm hungry.

12/02/2008 5:45 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I would have loved to see that eighty six pound turkey!

12/06/2008 7:18 PM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and more good times with the holidays! Personally, I'd love to hear any Xmas ghosts stories you may have in your vault. :)

12/09/2008 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Scott said...

Your relationship to science is like my relationship to history. You may know this, but there was no turkey served, the first Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims and Native Americans ate venison and fish.

1/04/2009 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Steven Rossi said...

That's a lot of turkeys.

1/19/2009 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie