The Phoenix

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Moon Not To Miss

Tonight, Wednesday - June 18th, is a great night to get a great look at the Moon. Because of a seasonal lunar optical illusion, the moon will appear to be gigantic as it rises in the sky from the horizon towards the top of the sky.

Although it looks like the moon is closer, it's really not. There are a couple of things at work here.


First, we're dealing with a pretty full solstice moon this week. You might have noticed it lighting up through your windows the last couple days.

Secondly, everything looks magnified when it's close to the horizon. Take clouds for instance. We're accustomed to looking straight up intot he sky and seeing clouds. But clouds near the horizon seem to be so far away. If you think it's hundreds of miles away, but it's not, it appears to be bigger to you.

The same thing happens with the sun, although I don't recommend that you stare straight into it. The sun seems super huge as it's rising or setting. But int he middle of day when it's overhead, it seems smaller.

The is called the Ponzo Illusion. I have no idea who Ponzo is. Maybe he's Gonzo's brother.

So check it out.

Moonrise times in the States:

New York City: 8:58 pm
St. Louis: 8:58 pm
Miami: 8:35 pm
Seattle: 9:51 pm

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger BrianAlt said...

Eh, I think it's going to be overcast. :\

6/18/2008 3:04 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

You never know...even if it is, the moon is going to be gigantic at the horizon. Maybe it won't be as cloudy there.

6/18/2008 5:08 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Thanks for this heads up. I will be on the lookout for the BIG moon tonight. I wonder if anyone will moon me while I'm watching the big moon??
:-)

6/18/2008 6:23 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Full moon, my fav time of month.

6/18/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger ajooja said...

My boss had a stroke several years ago and he's completely nuts right before a full moon.

We all have calendars that denote when the moon is full just so we can dread coming to work. :)

6/18/2008 9:43 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

This post reminded me of Moonstruck.

"Do you love him Loretta?"

Ha.

6/18/2008 10:18 PM  
Blogger Mr. Friendly said...

Dammit! Missed it.

Oh why, oh why don't I check the Phoenix BEFORE I leave work!

6/19/2008 6:07 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

Crap...it was too cloudy here too. I could see the light the moon was generating, but no good view of the giant moon itself.

6/19/2008 10:32 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

Thanks for the heads up - saw it last night but couldn't get a good photo of it because crap was in the way. It was large and lovely though!

6/19/2008 4:50 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

sigh. I forgot to look for the moon. But it was totally cloudy here so I probably wouldn't have seen it had I remembered.

6/19/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger ObilonKenobi said...

I love that. Unfortunately I forgot to look but last night the moon was kinda big too.

6/20/2008 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie