Spooky Story Three: The Ghost Hunters
Featured on the Sci-Fi channel on Wednesday evenings, Jason and Grant made ghost hunting more mainstream. By using a variety of high-tech tools like EMF detectors, digital voice recorders, and infrared cameras, they've taken a more scientific approach to hunting ghosts. Their objective isn't to prove the existence of ghosts at a particular location, but to DISPROVE any notion there are ghosts. It's a very different perspective and one that gives these ghost hunters a more skeptical slant.
Last night, Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson came to St. Louis to discuss what they actual do, what they don't do, and cover some of the more interesting things they've found. They said that overall, they've been able to debunk 80% of all claims...but it's the remaining 20% that remains unexplained.
Over one-thousand people waited in line at the city library, and only 700 got to stay. Unfortunately, I was in the group of about 350 people that were stuck in a large room forced to watch Jason and Grant's presentation via closed circuit TV and sound system. Nevertheless, I found the seminar both entertaining and educational.
Here are just a couple cases they discussed last night:
The Stanley Hotel
This is the hotel that served as the inspiration (and actual shooting locale) for Stephen King's The Shining. The spirits of a past maid's children can still be heard playing in the halls up on the fourth floor. In Room 401, Jason witnessed a drinking glass on his nightstand shatter from the inside out, and he was able to catch on night vision video his closet door opening and then later closing by itself.
Last Halloween, the ghost hunters actually broadcast the entire investigation LIVE, and viewers were able to send text messages to both Jason and Grant during the six hour hunt.
During this awesome live broadcast, they even heard a girl's voice saying "hello" and laughing while investigating the cellar.
T.A.P.S. investigates an old armory in New Bedford, MA built in 1903. Soldiers have reported all kinds of freaky things like large metal doors opening and closing on their own and all kinds of apparitions and ghosts being seen. What makes this episode so interesting is what happens to the soundman.
Frank DeAngelis is carrying a large boom microphone with both hands and a 40 pound equilizer in a case around his neck. Frank is a hardcore skeptic, often attributing any sort of paranormal activity to swamp gass, mass hysteria, or people smoking too much weed. But in one milisecond, Frank goes from big time skeptic to ulitmate believer.
He's literally attacked by an entity, and his life is changed forever.
Jason Hawes explained in the seminar that Frank immediately flew back home to California. They were able to talk him into flying back to finish production of their investigation, but Frank decided to not work on any more Ghost Hunters episodes.
I've thought about maybe producing my own ghost hunting video blog, but it would be full of nothing but footage of me screaming like a girl and running away.