The Phoenix

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

60th Anniversary of The Roswell Incident...Recent Twist

In July of 1947 something happened that has haunted Americans for 60 years...The UFO Crash at Roswell, New Mexico. For decades, there's been much speculation, rumors, studies, and interviews done to get to the bottom of this mystery.

It all began with a press release on July 8th, 1947 by the Roswell Army Airfield. It began with: "The many rumours regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence officer of the 509th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc."

This press release originated from Col. William H. Blanchard, commanding officer of the 509th, who dictated it to a Lt. Walter Haut (pictured right). This press release hit the AP wire at noon. Needlesstosay, the shit hit the fan.

Immediately, the military back-peddled and said that the debris from the crashsite was from a very ordinary weather balloon. The following day, the military states that the debris found was nothing but tinfoil and balsa wood from a weather balloon.

Regardless of where you stand on this topic, you'll find the latest twist to the story pretty amazing, if not timely. Lt. Walter Haut, the one that took Col. Blanchard's dictation for the press release, had written a sworn affidavit. It was to be opened only after his death.

Haut passed away last year, and the affidavit was finally opened. Here it is:

2002 SEALED AFFIDAVIT OF WALTER G. HAUT

DATE: December 26, 2002
WITNESS: Chris Xxxxxx
NOTARY: Beverlee Morgan

(1) My name is Walter G. Haut

(2) I was born on June 2, 1922

(3) My address is 1405 W. 7th Street, Roswell, NM 88203

(4) I am retired.

(5) In July, 1947, I was stationed at the Roswell Army Air Base in Roswell, New Mexico, serving as the base Public Information Officer. I had spent the 4th of July weekend (Saturday, the 5th, and Sunday, the 6th) at my private residence about 10 miles north of the base, which was located south of town.

(6) I was aware that someone had reported the remains of a downed vehicle by midmorning after my return to duty at the base on Monday, July 7. I was aware that Major Jesse A. Marcel, head of intelligence, was sent by the base commander, Col. William Blanchard, to investigate.

(7) By late in the afternoon that same day, I would learn that additional civilian reports came in regarding a second site just north of Roswell. I would spend the better part of the day attending to my regular duties hearing little if anything more.

(8) On Tuesday morning, July 8, I would attend the regularly scheduled staff meeting at 7:30 a.m. Besides Blanchard, Marcel; CIC [Counterintelligence Corp] Capt. Sheridan Cavitt; Col. James I. Hopkins, the operations officer; Lt. Col. Ulysses S. Nero, the supply officer; and from Carswell AAF in Fort Worth, Texas, Blanchard's boss, Brig. Gen. Roger Ramey and his chief of staff, Col. Thomas J. Dubose were also in attendance. The main topic of discussion was reported by Marcel and Cavitt regarding an extensive debris field in Lincoln County approx. 75 miles NW of Roswell. A preliminary briefing was provided by Blanchard about the second site approx. 40 miles north of town. Samples of wreckage were passed around the table. It was unlike any material I had or have ever seen in my life. Pieces which resembled metal foil, paper thin yet extremely strong, and pieces with unusual markings along their length were handled from man to man, each voicing their opinion. No one was able to identify the crash debris.

(9) One of the main concerns discussed at the meeting was whether we should go public or not with the discovery. Gen. Ramey proposed a plan, which I believe originated from his bosses at the Pentagon. Attention needed to be diverted from the more important site north of town by acknowledging the other location. Too many civilians were already involved and the press already was informed. I was not completely informed how this would be accomplished.

(10) At approximately 9:30 a.m. Col. Blanchard phoned my office and dictated the press release of having in our possession a flying disc, coming from a ranch northwest of Roswell, and Marcel flying the material to higher headquarters. I was to deliver the news release to radio stations KGFL and KSWS, and newspapers the Daily Record and the Morning Dispatch.

(11) By the time the news release hit the wire services, my office was inundated with phone calls from around the world. Messages stacked up on my desk, and rather than deal with the media concern, Col Blanchard suggested that I go home and "hide out."

(12) Before leaving the base, Col. Blanchard took me personally to Building 84 [AKA Hangar P-3], a B-29 hangar located on the east side of the tarmac. Upon first approaching the building, I observed that it was under heavy guard both outside and inside. Once inside, I was permitted from a safe distance to first observe the object just recovered north of town. It was approx. 12 to 15 feet in length, not quite as wide, about 6 feet high, and more of an egg shape. Lighting was poor, but its surface did appear metallic. No windows, portholes, wings, tail section, or landing gear were visible.

(13) Also from a distance, I was able to see a couple of bodies under a canvas tarpaulin. Only the heads extended beyond the covering, and I was not able to make out any features. The heads did appear larger than normal and the contour of the canvas suggested the size of a 10 year old child. At a later date in Blanchard's office, he would extend his arm about 4 feet above the floor to indicate the height.

(14) I was informed of a temporary morgue set up to accommodate the recovered bodies.

(15) I was informed that the wreckage was not "hot" (radioactive).

(16) Upon his return from Fort Worth, Major Marcel described to me taking pieces of the wreckage to Gen. Ramey's office and after returning from a map room, finding the remains of a weather balloon and radar kite substituted while he was out of the room. Marcel was very upset over this situation. We would not discuss it again.

(17) I would be allowed to make at least one visit to one of the recovery sites during the military cleanup. I would return to the base with some of the wreckage which I would display in my office.

(18) I was aware two separate teams would return to each site months later for periodic searches for any remaining evidence.

(19) I am convinced that what I personally observed was some type of craft and its crew from outer space.

(20) I have not been paid nor given anything of value to make this statement, and it is the truth to the best of my recollection.


Signed: Walter G. Haut
December 26, 2002

Signature witnessed by:
Chris Xxxxxxx

[Source: Tom Carey & Donald Schmitt, Witness to Roswell, 2007]

HOLY CRAP!

Some personal notes:

(6) Maj. Jesse Marcel is the officer shown in the famous picture, holding pieces of a weather balloon. He was Roswell's scapegoat and was portrayed as an idiot that couldn't tell the difference between tin foil and balsa wood and wreckage from a UFO.

(8) Holy conspiracy, Batman! This section is a huge revelation. Two things: #1 - There was a SECOND crash site. #2 - Haut testifies that he handled some of the "metal" from the wreckage.

(12) Incredible. Here, Haut said that Col. Blanchard took him to see the actual craft.

(13) And Haut saw the bodies!

(19) Haut truly believes what he saw was not of this Earth.

You can believe what you want to believe. Is this yet another piece of the puzzle? Or is it a hoax? Regardless, you have to agree that the fact that Haut didn't want this sworn and notarized statement to be made public until AFTER his death makes his statements very compelling.

More to follow, folks...



Labels: , , ,

33 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Blondie said...

I'm sorry man, I just can't get behind the whole "Roswell Incident". I guess I won't believe anything until we have an "Independence Day" type issue.

Sorry...but it is all fascinating anyway.

7/03/2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

No matter what people believes and don't believe in when it comes to UFO's and Roswell I am thankful that the stories that people have been spinning about it ever since is so entertaining!

7/03/2007 5:14 PM  
Blogger Godwhacker said...

I just hope the aliens like pasta for dinner rather then us. :)

7/04/2007 10:55 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I just eat this stuff up!
Even though I am a skeptic about the existence of aliens, I SO MUCH WANT for them to exist and for us to KNOW about it.

Happy July 4th to you!!

7/04/2007 1:07 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hope you're having an awesome 4th!

7/04/2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger angel, jr. said...

I hope you and your family had an awesome Fourth of July!

This stuff is so fascinating. I've always been fascinated by UFOs and alien beings.

7/05/2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger cube said...

Jessie Marcel Jr. has just written a book about his dad's deathbed confession that it was all real.

It's fun to play around with but I have a hard time believing in such a huge conspiracy.

I think Marcel Jr. is making money from selling a book.

7/05/2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

I think it's good to be skeptical. It's the preferred method.

But there's so much damn data out there. So many testimonies...600+.

Lots of people connected died very suspeciously too, after that talked.

But I believe in the simpliest explanation usually being the closest to the truth.

Here's a simple little tidbit to think about: Is Jesse Marcel, who was a Major AND head of intelligence for the Army going to confuse tin foil and balsa wood with material that's not known to man?

Jeezus...there's no way.

And by the way, retired Brigadeer General Dubose also gave a sworn affidavit that the weatherballoon story was indeed a cover-up, and the REAL wreckage was shipped to Ft. Worth Texas.

Is tin foil and balsa wood a threat to national security as to be shipped from NM to TX secretly?

7/05/2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger mad said...

So, in other words, space aliens are lousy drivers too.

7/05/2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Brendan said...

Is a sworn statement to be opened only after your death really sworn? There'd be no legal impact, since the prosecution have to go after a corpse. Not saying one way or the other, but this could be a way for an old man to make himself famous without having to answer difficult questions about his story. Sort of a last shot at Roswell immortality from beyond the grave . . .

7/05/2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger ajooja said...

I believe in this story. In fact, I think the most recent "weather balloon excuse" is pretty ridiculous. It sounds more fanciful than an alien spaceship wreck.

7/05/2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger goldennib said...

Wow, very fascinating and interesting.

7/05/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Haley-O said...

I always LOVE the UFO gossip here. Thanks for keeping me in the loop! ;)

Seriously, really interesting stuff.

7/05/2007 10:23 PM  
Blogger Mr. Friendly said...

Man, this is like the X-Files only I know Mulder.

Go Baby.

I will be appearing in the Copa over the weekend. Stop on by.

7/06/2007 7:29 AM  
Blogger KC said...

This is fascinating stuff. I'm not sure what I believe, but...

Hey, I just finished listening to your latest podcast and really enjoyed it. I really liked listening to your past life experiences. So cool!

7/06/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Spooky stuff, ain't it?

Sure does make you wonder....

7/06/2007 11:24 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Or ... he wanted you to THINK it was very compelling. Hard to say.

If I were an alien piloting a craft near the earth's surface, I'd be far from the desert ... I'd be checking out Ibiza or Waikiki.

-- david

7/06/2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger The Egg said...

I don't know. I've read so much about this story that I'm confused. I do know that I've seen weird lights in PA. Of course, it could have been a prank! If I get kidnapped by the aliens, please look for me.

7/06/2007 6:22 PM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

I read an article in Scientific American once that said due to the principles of statistics every single one of us should have an exact replica clone of ourselves (i.e. someone who looked just like us) somewhere in the universe. And if that's a mathematical given it's not much of a leap to other intelligent life.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to get a visit. I personally don't need any probes, thanks.

7/08/2007 1:05 AM  
Blogger Grafs said...

Neat! The idea of alien life forms kind of scares me, though, because I know that if they wanted to do something to us, we couldn't stop them. On the other hand, if they wanted to do something to us, they probably would have by now. I just don't want any unnecessary probing, ya know?

7/08/2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger goddess said...

very very interesting.

7/08/2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Orhan Kahn said...

Certainly is interesting.

7/09/2007 5:02 AM  
Blogger BrianAlt said...

That's a very small craft. Just a little larger than a car! That's a spaceship? If so, just think how far ahead they are with their technology.

7/09/2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I like alien stories, but I am not sure if I believe in them.

7/09/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Very cool Phoenix. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

7/09/2007 10:06 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

I heard about that affidavit, it's pretty interesting. Who knows!!

7/10/2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Etchen said...

I'm definitely a skeptic, but I love reading all the conspiracy theories behind roswell. Great post!

7/10/2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

When I go out, I am lucky to find a dime. All the good shit's already been discovered. Why can 't there be a crash in my backyard?

7/11/2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I've had an iPod a long time. I'v ebeen reading here, as you know, for a LONG time. And finally this week, I have downloaded and listened to your podcasts.

Well done, my friend. I'm glad I took the plunge!

-- david

7/12/2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Perplexio said...

So that just proves it!

Neither tin foil nor balsa wood are "of this world."

That explains SOOO much. ;-)

7/13/2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger mojotek said...

I would love to see this document. I've never been able to convince myself one way or the other on this topic, but this little revelation definitely piques my interest. Me likey.

7/13/2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Whatever the case may be, it's still a VERY interesting look at how the government deals with something they feel is a 'sensitive' issue.
Complete hoax or otherwise the government hasn't helped themselves with denial/admittance/fact hiding/detail adjusting etc etc....

7/13/2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Phats said...

Interesting post, don't buy it but interesting nonetheless, don't forget that a TV Show was made called Roswell!

7/13/2007 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie