The Phoenix

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Is There Any Womb In There For Another Baby?

Just a couple days before Christmas, Hannah Kersey was able to bring her triplets home with her. Ruby, Tilly, and Grace were finally healthy enough from their September birth to leave the hospital. Sounds pretty normal, right? What makes Hannah's story remarkable is how she's made medical history.

Hannah's children came from two separate wombs.

OK, let me repeat that.

Hannah's children came from two seaparte wombs...inside of her.

Ruby and Tilly are identical twins and were in one womb. Grace was by herself in her own separate womb. Yes, Hannah Kelsey has two wombs. The odds of having triplets from two wombs is estimated to be 25 million to 1.

So how did this happen???

Hannah has a condition called uterus didelphys. When she was a developing fetus, her Mullers ducts never fused to form one uterus, as it's supposed to. It leaves her with two separate uteruses...um...uteri? This condition is often hereditary, and Hannah's mother and sister both have two wombs as well.

But what made medical history is the fact that Hannah gave birth to triplets in two separate wombs - and that makes her the first EVER in recorded medical history to do so. Both wombs had to have had an egg. The father, Mick Faulkner (or as I would call him, Super Sperm Man), had two separtate sperm cells fertilize each egg. One egg split and became identical twins - Tilly and and Ruby. The other egg remained in a separate womb, and became Grace.

Dr. Ellis Downes, consultant obstetrician and gynecologist at Chase Farm Hospital in London, said: "It is quite amazing. Women with two wombs have conceived a baby in each womb before but never twins in one and a singleton in the other."

Singleton??? What the hell is that? Singleton? Isn't that a kind of Scotch Whisky?

After reading this newstory, my head was swimming with questions. I bet yours is too. In fact, I'd bet some of your questions are as follows:

Question: So having two wombs, is it possible two sets of children could've had two DIFFERENT fathers?

Answer: You're watching too much Grey's Anatomy. Or maybe House. Hannah had only one cervix. The only way she could've gotten pregnant in both wombs was simultaneously. So she'd have to be having sex with two men at the exact same moment. I dare not continue with this scenerio out any further as I'm becoming slightly nauseus.

Question: Does Hannah have two vaginas?

Answer: No. You sicko.

Question: Are there women out there with two vaginas?

Answer: Geezus! Ok, yes. There was another British woman, Claire Miles, a year ago that had two vaginas, but did have an operation to get them fused together. She also had two wombs, each with a baby inside. Her babies are doing great as well. This reminds me of a joke I heard. You ever hear of the man with five penises (penii?)? His pants fit like a glove!

Question: Having two wombs, are Hannah's menstruation normal?

Answer: I'm not qualified to answer that question, but I wouldn't want to be near her house when she's got PMS.

Question: Is there some sort of evolutaionary/biological advantage for having two wombs?

Answer: Obviously, she might be able to produce more offspring with "one shot." (Ahem), but this condition is associated with fertillity problems. Now that Ms. Kersey has three newborns to feed at the same time, she's probably wishing she had three boobies instead.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Bruce said...

I heard about her a couple months back on Don and Mike, of all shows.

12/26/2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger goddess said...

I'm adopted and my medical history is closed, but I do know that I was, in fact, a triplet whose fraternal sister(s) was a half sister. (the different father's scenario) That blows a lot of peoples minds, but it does happen and not just on soaps.

(To answer the next question, the other 2 of them died at birth, so I'm the only surviving one.)

12/26/2006 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real life can be weider than fiction.

Why would she have to get pregnant in each womb at the same time?

12/27/2006 5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, a little erudion on a cold and dark Albany morning. Thanks Phoenix.

12/27/2006 6:57 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

bruce, Yeah - the babies were born in September and were able to go home just 6 days ago. Little miracles.

goddess, Whoa, that IS strange! heteropaternal superfecundation, right? That's amazing.

goldennib, Originally, I was wondering if she could get pregnant in one womb, and then later on get pregnant again in the other. Hannah only has one cervix. Once she was pregnant in either womb, the mucus plug develops in the cervix. Oh, and she stopped ovulating once pregnant.

mr. friendly, my pleasure.

12/27/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger O Ceallaigh said...

Uteri is correct. But not penii. The plural of "penis" is "penes". There is no truth to the rumor that polyandry is heavenly. I hope.

Normally, the cervix is plugged after conception, and ovulation ceases. But there are exceptions. Just like there are exceptions to "one egg at a time, please".

One can only hope, for Hannah's sake, that those uteri are, um, fully synchronized. Once a month is enough.

Don't get me started on the evolution of development ...

:)

12/27/2006 10:16 AM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

Is it just me or do the Brits have some crazy things going on biologically?! (From island living, perhaps?)

12/27/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Interesting story.

Hey, that 3-boobie picture is very disturbing. How did you google to find that one?

12/27/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

but I wouldn't want to be near her house when she's got PMS.

Good grief...I'm of the female persuasion and even I wouldn't want to be around her at that "time of the month" either!

12/27/2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine the woman with 2 vaginas. Do you realize how much money that woman must've spent on feminine stuff, and I wonder if her gyno did a 2for1 special on paps. That's crazy!

12/27/2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger Fated said...

OMG That's sooooo NEAT! Talk about having a great story to tell your kids hey. "No honey, you aren't 1 in a million, you're 1 in 25 million!"

12/27/2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

OC, thanks for the update or pluralizing sexual bits.

WG, playing with radiation is probably a bad thing.

KC, I remember a goofy beer ad with that picture. So I searched for that specific advertisement.

Stacy, I just have a feeling it CAN'T be good.

onmywatch, Think about the pressure on a double-vajayjay's partner. Geez.

fated, I guess they're super-duper-special.

12/27/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I can handle the two wombs thing, I knew someone who had this condition, and eventually had is surgically taken care of.

Now, having 3 newborn babies to take care of, that freaks me out!

12/27/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger PDD said...

Okay, I've got to come back to read this post. But first I have to make dinner. I just did a very rough draft of a post regarding the illusion of space and time. I want to discuss this further, and what better person to go to regarding this topic than you. so lets allow our brain cells to explode!

12/27/2006 5:59 PM  
Anonymous delmer said...

If she were having sex with two different men at the same time, would there *have* to be bad jazz playing? Or is than a director's option.

12/27/2006 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a dog with 2 Vaginas... we called her "Snatches."*

*this joke is courtesy of Steven Wright

12/27/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I'm with Sherri, having triplets to take care of would drive me over the edge! One at a time is enough, thank you VERY much LOL

12/28/2006 4:31 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think it's frightening that you had that picture ready for a post like this.

I've never met a woman with two wombs before, but I have met several without hearts,

-- david

12/28/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Cari said...

u out did urself w/ this one :)
actually pretty cool fact

12/28/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

sherri and dabich, I'd go insane. I would.

PDD, after reading your post, my brain did explode.

delmer, and a fluffer on the set.

perplexio, how wonderfully tasteless! How about a dog with two penes? Is that a cock-er-spaniel?

david, met any with two faces?

cari, thanks! I got the article from Siren.

12/28/2006 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a dog had 2 penises (Peni?) wouldn't that make it more of a Cockser Spaniel than a Cocker Spaniel?

12/28/2006 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least she LOOKED happy.

I can only shudder.

Tai, currently unable to log-in

12/28/2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I am thrilled because I was able to actually get to your comment page. This means my comment will most likely go through. If it does not, I will have a cussing fit!!

What an amazing story! I supppose Grace will always be the sister who doesn't look like the other two, who will be carbon copies of each other.
One womb is plenty for me, and as for the double vaginas... that's just sicko stuff!!!!
Fits like a glove.... ha, ha, ha... tee hee.... snort....

12/28/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got one womb and that seems to provide plenty of monthly irritation. If I had two, I'd be hysterical (HA!)

12/28/2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Even with odds like 25 million to 1, that still leaves room for 24 such births in a population of 6 billion, which is also pretty crazy.

12/28/2006 8:41 PM  
Anonymous stephanie said...

I heard about this! This is insane!!!

12/30/2006 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

It is possible to get pregnant with fraternal twins actually, fathered by two seperate people. Sperm can live in the uterus for up to 72 hours after sex.

I think this kind of thing is becoming more common. I have a friend with two uteruses. She actually is having a baby, just one. There are a lot of infertility issues surrounding things like this, inadequate blood supply and the like for the baby.

12/30/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I think that I have fallen in love with the girl in the bottom pic.

12/30/2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger david santos said...

Hello!
Very good.
TANK YOU.

1/02/2007 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Tasa said...

I never heard this story, but I've got kinda the same thing... I HAD two wombs, but they started fusing together, but stopped midway... so I have an extra... half?
I learned this when I was pregnant. It was also the reason why I had my baby premature.

1/03/2007 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie