The Phoenix

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ghostly Encounter from the Isle...#6 of my spooky stories series

The following spooky story was submitted by fellow blogger Nancyrowina. She lives on the Isle of Wight, a picturesque, diamond-shaped island south of Southampton, UK. The Isle of Wight is well known as a perfect holiday getaway and England's most haunted spot. Here, you can attend several "haunted walking tours" and go hunting for ghosts. Being a resident of the Isle, it seems having a ghost story or two is the norm. If her story were to happen to someone here in the States, I believe witnesses wouldn't be as calm as Nancy was during her experience. Here is Nancy's story...

One morning at about 5am I was walking home from my friends house. I was nearly home with just one more corner to turn before I was on my road.

I immediately noticed a man walking towards me. He was quite odd looking - his clothes appeared Victorian and he had a walking cane he was flourishing as he approached. I wasn't aware of any costume ball or carnival near here or anything of the sort. I thought to myself, What a strange old man. Wonder where he got those clothes from? and carried on walking towards him.

Then it got weird...

He was ignoring me and not attempting to make eye contact at all as he got closer, but I wanted to talk to him or at least say good morning as he looked so eccentric I wanted to know why he was dressed that way. I looked directly at his face and smiled when he was about 3 meters away from me. When his eyes met mine he looked frightened, and I felt bad. I didn't want to scare the old guy, but before I could assure him that I wasn't going to mug him -

He vanished!

He disappeared right before my eyes. He had looked so real that I questioned my sanity for a minute, then wondered if he was a ghost. I wasn't scared as much as I was shocked and didn't know what to think, so I carried on walking to my house.

I rounded a corner and there was a family walking down the road. I thought it was extremely strange - bear in mind it was 5 AM. They were all blonde - a mum, a dad, and 2 kids - a boy and girl. They saw me straight away and started smiling, and laughing, but there was no sound coming out of their mouths at all. They all looked very real to me, just as the old man had moments before. Though they were visibly laughing and trying to say something to me, it was as if they were in a silent movie or something.

They walked right up to me and separated politely to let me pass. As I was walking through the path they made for me and saw them all around me...

They vanished too!

I walked in my house, went to bed and thought, I need to get some sleep. I was exhausted and decided that sleep deprivation must've caused me to hallucinate during my journey home.

Perhaps ghosts are always walking among us, I'm not sure. Maybe sometimes certain circumstances create an environment more conducive to bringing the spirit world into our realm. It could also be that there are individuals that are somehow "more sensitive" and the spirits are attracted to them.

I don't know, nor do I care to investigate.


Was Nancy just 'seeing things' because of her lack of sleep? Or maybe Nancy is just one of thousands to have encounters with apparitions on this Isle. They believe that underneath the ground, the "ley lines" charge the electromagnetic field, thereby increasing psychic energy. Isle of Wight is also home to a large ghost investigation team. Encounters with ghosts in taverns, hotels, churches, homes, and even the jail and zoo are simply what everyday life is like for the residents of Isle of Wight.

20 Comments:

Blogger ObilonKenobi said...

OK. Weird. The real name of the person in the story I submitted is Nancy!! When I first scanned the story and saw the name I thought I had accidentally written her real name. Not that it matters here since no one will recognize the story and read this comment. Crazy stuff!

10/20/2005 9:00 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

The scarest thing about this story is seeing the Isle of Wight described as picturesque....The I of W in the summer is full of arrogant Londoners who think they own the place.

10/20/2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

BTW I am loving the link buttons , good job ;)

10/20/2005 9:27 PM  
Blogger ObilonKenobi said...

Oh yeah... I like the buttons too.

10/20/2005 9:57 PM  
Blogger Mojotek said...

I think I'd be more worried about my sanity than anythign else...

10/21/2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger Mojotek said...

Hey! I just saw my button... awesome! I don't know if its good or bad that it made me feel so special...

Maybe I need to call my shrink and ask...

10/21/2005 8:04 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Oooh, very creepy. I like it.

10/21/2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

Obilon, You just gave away the name of someone in your story that WAS going to be anonymous. Oh well. I am using EVERYONE's story, so keep your eyes open next week for yours.

I'm glad you all like the buttons I made. I wanted to somehow "capture" your sites for them.

It's to show my appreciation for both writing such great blogs and for coming here and gracing me with your presence.

10/21/2005 11:34 AM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

I think that is extra freaky because it happened twice in a row, right after each other! Chills!

Oh, and I like the button too!

10/21/2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Nancy must have a strong heart. I think if I had two encounters in a row like that I might have a heart attack. Very spooky and fascinating! Thanks for sharing it with us. And oh yeah, I like the buttons too!

10/21/2005 12:46 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

Imagine if this happened in, say East St. Louis. Nancy would've whipped out her 9 and tried to bust a cap in those ghosteses.

10/21/2005 1:10 PM  
Anonymous delmer said...

Chills as well.

10/21/2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Funny, I didn't think that England's most haunted place would be the Isle of Wight ... I thought that it was wherever the Rolling Stones were last seen stopping back between tour dates ...

I have (finally) linked ot you on my site. Thanks for your support and the great posts!

-- d.a.

10/21/2005 5:04 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Hehe. No. Just 1 soft serve frosty did it.

Wow, that is kind of a creepy story.

Kel

10/21/2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Oh PS: The 1st image you have on there is creepy too.
KEl

10/21/2005 8:41 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Hehe. It's such an awesome movie. Seeing it now makes me want to go out and buy it.
Kel

10/21/2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger RAVEN the PITA said...

I love me a good ghost story! Thats the one thing I've loved and will miss about living in England -(that and the castles!) go to Canterbury - they have a guy that takes you on a haunteed tour and tells you all about the ghosts and the stories behind them :-) And I'm not seeing any appreciation babe! heehee

10/22/2005 1:38 AM  
Blogger Morris said...

Thanks for leaving a comment at my site. Interesting story, sounds like drugs were involved.

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

10/22/2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Nancyrowina said...

Well done for your research on the Isle Of Wight, it is a very haunted place apparently, and they say some of the ley lines have been blackened by black magic activity.
There is also a lot of pagan history associated with the Island, we have a standing stone called the long stone that is on the same ley line as stone henge in Somerset.
When the Island is over run with tourists in the summer it is a bit much sometimes, and the Ghost walk runs all the way through the winter as far as I know, would probably be spookier anyway. they take you all the way round the biggest town Newport and around haunted buildings.

10/23/2005 7:40 AM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Stonehenge isnt in Somerset, its in Wiltshire...Sorry I sound really anal there :|
Anyway i visited Stonehenge once and took lots of snaps ( pre digital camera age) At home wound my film back eager to get them developed opened the camera only to find my film had jammed and I had just exposed the whole lot to light.I had to make do with the postcard I bought.

10/24/2005 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie