The Phoenix

Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Dream Becomes a Nightmare...#9 of my spooky stories series

Ever have a dream literally come true? Is it prophecy? Or perhaps it's a case of simple coincidence. Here's my own personal experience with a dream becomming a terrible reality...

I was a high school English teacher for five years, and I got to really know so many young people. (For you St. Louisans, that's Marquette High School in Chesterfield below). I was fortunate enough to hear about the lives of teenagers - the good, bad, and lots of ugly. Life happens to all of us, but it affects adolescents in a deeper way.

One of my favorite students was Carlo, a freshman. He was not an 'A' student, nor was he particularly studious. Carlo just had such a great personality, and he was liked by everyone. Although soft spoken, he had a ton of friends.

I had another student, Erin. This girl loved to talk. Erin was good friends with Carlo, but she was in a different class period. One day we were reading the Langston Hughes poem, "Dreams" when she raised her hand. I grudgingly asked her what she wanted, as Erin was notorious for trying to get me off topic.

"Do you think dreams can come true? I mean, like you have a dream, and what you dreamt actually happens in real life."

What did this have to do with Langston Hughes? I thought. Of course, Erin had to continue...

"I had, like, the worst dream ever. And I've had so many dreams come true, that I'm scared this one might come true too."

I was intrigued, and I could tell by her face that she was sincerely troubled. "What was your dream?"

She closed her eyes. "I dreamt that there was a big car accident. I wasn't in the car, but there were four of my friends't inside, but I couldn't make out their faces. I saw the car all messed up, near some trees, and I heard a bunch of screaming. One of my friends died, that I know for sure. I tried to see who it was, but for some reason, the dream wouldn't let me see. I woke up crying. It was horrible. It was SO real."

Erin continued talking about the repercussions of the death at school. Students were crying, word of the death spread throughout the school, and her active mind kept trying to find out whom had died. The dream apparently kept that fact from her. It was a morbid dream, a nightmare really. The class had fallen silent. I assured her all was ok, that it was just a dream. She didn't buy it, I could tell. But we had "Raisin in the Sun" to begin reading.

Four weeks later, I received a call from one of the assistant principals on a Saturday night. There had been a terrible car accident. A car with four Marquette students had slammed into a tree, and Carlo was in critical condition. He was in an induced coma, as he had severe head trauma. Doctors literally kept him in ice, but the brain swelling never stopped. Carlo was declared brain dead three days later. His parents removed him from life support and donated his organs on May 1, 1998.

After the funeral, I hadn't connected Erin's dream with Carlo's death. It wasn't until we were going over "Raisin in the Sun" again for final exams when one of my other students, Matt, blurted out, "Do you remember when Erin told you about her dream? You think it was Carlo's accident she saw?"

I looked over at Erin. I was too stunned to say anything, as I had forgotten all about her dream. She decided not to do her usual stunt of getting me off topic, and she remained silent. I let the class murmur die down a bit before taking a deep breath. "Yes."

Carlo was only 15 years old when he died.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
"Hold fast to dreams..."

18 Comments:

Blogger ObilonKenobi said...

Chilling. These stories get more and more spooky. I wonder how many more of that girl's dreams came true.

10/27/2005 10:48 PM  
Anonymous SciVille said...

Aww! Poor Carlo. Poor Erin must be terrified beyond belief! That's so sad and creepy!

10/28/2005 4:25 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I'll bet that girl will need therapy for years to come! So very, very sad and spooky.

10/28/2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

Yeah, it was very sad.

The driver of the car had been going way too fast down this sharp hill. He lost control and slammed into a tree. Carlo was in the rear, diagonal to the driver. His head actually went through the glass and hit the tree.

The passenger, directly seated in front of Carlo, was injured badly as well. I had her in class the following year. Stacy had a shattered both of her femurs - and she was the one screaming. She was in a wheelchair for months, then used crutches for over a year.
The driver and the person seated behind him walked away from the accident.
Soon thereafter, the driver changed schools.

10/28/2005 9:47 AM  
Blogger Kid Jacque said...

*shivers*

Holy Dream Batman!!

It's a sad story but proves that dreams can tell you things you aren't aware of yet. Even bad things.

10/28/2005 10:23 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Yikes! Poor Carlo, poor Erin.

10/28/2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger whitesgem said...

Wow.. how tragic, and scary....
I bet you felt pretty bizarre being involved in and observing that situation...

10/28/2005 11:53 AM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Eh, everything in Chesterfield is creepy! Including the mall...

Good story! Creepy! I went to Francis Howell--for you none St. Louisians this school was built over a nuclear waste site...needless to say, it is a fallout shelter with LOTS of tunnels underneath... there a lots of stories about people having been locked up in the labyrinth of tunnels...

Out of sheer curiousity what road did this happen on?

10/28/2005 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had a dream.....that you Americans would stop raping and pillaging the planet and come to your senses. www.welcometowallyworld.com

then I had a nightmare that your "Can do" President passed the baton to Cheney.

10/28/2005 12:23 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

The accident happened down off of Kehrs Mill Road. There's a stretch where it's very hilly and has some sharp turns.

The driver wasn't drunk, just reckless. It was a small Acura, and it was pretty smashed up on the side Carlo and Stacy sat on.

10/28/2005 1:43 PM  
Blogger Willow said...

You know what's really creepy? It's when bloggers die and come back as someone else!

10/28/2005 3:14 PM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

That's right, Suzi...that is the theme of The Phoenix.

The Phoenix rises from the ashes...reborn...renewed.

It's a clean slate.

Nice to have you back, and you'd better link back here! (Gotta make a new button. Do they make stir-fry backgrounds?)

10/28/2005 3:39 PM  
Anonymous the weirdgirl said...

That story is very sad and scary. I bet it was hard for you to look at your students the same way.

10/28/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Wow. I hope Erin and the survivors recover from this tragic incident.

10/28/2005 5:38 PM  
Anonymous skywind8 said...

I dreamed pieces of the Sept 11 plane crash for years ahead of time. It was never enough detail to know precisely what it applied to, until it actually happened.

The night before the attacks I was crying and couldn't calm down, even though everything in my own life was right. It just felt like an awful black cloud of depression and sadness and loss.

But processing it ahead of time meant that I could "be there" for people emotionally when it actually happened, since I had already processed my emotional responses ahead of time. I was much calmer to be able to provide support.

Sometimes I think that's the main value of precognition - being a little bit emotionally prepared.

When I read online forums on Sept 11 & 12, I found out that huge numbers of other people were very sad or had other unexplainable responses (dreams, etc), the night before the attacks; of course there's no way to prove correlation but it was very interesting to read.

10/28/2005 7:48 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Wow that story is GREAT Phoenix - Man so creepy and yet...wow.

Amazing really. I'm still in awe. :-)

10/30/2005 7:32 PM  
Anonymous delmer said...

It gave me chills.

Many moons ago I had dreams come true three nights in a row. The started the day a fly bit me and my finger swelled up nice and big.

One dream was very detailed -- when it came true it was startling.

On the fourth night I dreamed the Swedish Bikin Team dragged me into the woods and had their way with me. Naturally, that's when the dreams quit coming true.

11/01/2005 2:36 PM  
Anonymous dream dictionary said...

Hi The Phoenix love your blog. I came across it while looking for dreams. I know A Dream Becomes a Nightmare...#9 of my spooky stories series is not an exact match but thanks for the read. I'll get on with my search for dreams stuff and will visit again sometime. Take Care

4/18/2006 1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page


Established 2005...

Welcome to the blog that aims to examine the lighter side of science. From the paranormal to wacky inventions, to strange mysteries and goofy experiments, I cover it all. Thanks for stoping by blazingtalons.com...where science is always stranger than fiction







E-mail


To Enlighten & Entertain!

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

 Subscribe in a reader


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

  • Site design by Pixie